When A Death Occurs
If death has occurred or is imminent, please call the funeral home at (719) 583-1313. We are available anytime of the day or night.
Please let the doctor, hospital, nursing home or hospice know that you want Romero Family Funeral Home to be called when the time comes.
Immediately following a death is a very emotional and confusing time. The funeral home will take charge of picking-up and bringing your loved one to the mortuary. A time will be set for the family to come into the funeral home to make arrangements for the funeral services.
What to Expect When You Arrive at the Funeral Home
One of the first things the funeral director will do is to provide you with our General Price List. He'll guide you through the entire arrangement process, explaining how you can create a memorable personal celebration of your loved one's life.
This process may include:
- Preparing and filing the official death certificate
- Scheduling the location, date and time of services or events
- Selecting a casket, urn or other items
- Preparing an obituary notice
- Scheduling vehicles
- Selecting pallbearers
- It may also be necessary for you or your family members to sign
permits and authorizations relative to the funeral arrangements.
We’d like you to bring any photos, a favorite song, or memorabilia so that you and your funeral director can better discuss how you would like your loved one to be remembered. Having these things, and knowing their favorite song or favorite gathering place – even their favorite activity – will help us create a truly fitting funeral service.
Our funeral directors will assist you in planning a loving tribute that captures the spirit of the person whose life you wish to honor. To learn more about personalizing the service, please read the Honoring Life section of this website.
The following checklist will help you remember what information about the decedent and items will be needed when meeting with a funeral director.
- Full legal name- Home address
- Social Security number
- Date of birth
- Place of birth
- Father's name
- Mother's maiden name
- Veteran's discharge papers (DD-214
- Recent Photograph
- Highest level of education
- Place of burial (if applicable)
- Clergy name and phone number
- Survivors (names and relationships)
- Insurance policies (if applicable)